First Avenue Presbyterian History
From 1887 to 1889, a Sunday School class was held in a wood frame building owned by the Rev. Henry S. Bainton on Broadway, south of the City of Denver. On February 6, 1889, The Church of the Redeemer was organized with 25 charter members. The Rev. John H. Hopkins served as pastor.
On July 2, 1890, trustees were instructed to secure four building lots at Acoma St. and First Avenue for the construction of a church building. On September 6, 1891, The Daily News reported that the new building at Acoma and First was complete. It was described as a “neat little structure of brick in the middle of the lots,” intended only as a “temporary” building. The seating capacity was 300, and membership was reported at 80 persons. Dr. G. M. Darley was installed as pastor on October 14, 1891.
Our historic building under went some renovations in 2007. Learn more about our beautiful, historic building.