A Brief History of Our Church Building
The Church of the Redeemer had been holding services in Fleming Hall on Broadway, near First Avenue, and on July 2 1890, the trustees were instructed to secure building lots. The cost of these lots was $2,000 and on September 6, 1891, the Daily News reported, “The new building of the Presbyterian Church of the Redeemer at Acoma and First Avenue is now completed. It is a neat little structure, brick, in the middle of the lots. It is intended only as a temporary building. The seating capacity is 300.”
Six years after consolidation with “Capitol Avenue Presbyterian Church” the membership had grown from 275 to 500. Little had been done toward the concerted agreement to erect an adequate church, excepting the choice of plans on July 29, 1896. On April 26, 1905, a committee of fifteen was appointed to formulate plans looking to the erection of a complete church building. On May 24, 1905, it decided to build with new plans, displacing those of 1896, and to cost no more than $18,000.
The cornerstone of the new church, “First Avenue Presbyterian Church”, was laid in 1906 and the dedication of the new sanctuary was held on February 4, 1907. The architectural firm of Fallis & Stein, which also designed other Denver landmarks, including the neighboring Mayan Theater, designed the sanctuary.
A wonderful restoration to this old historic sacred space took place in 2006-2007. The church and community are excited about this restoration and preservation work. The restoration of the hand painted windows in the bell tower was completed. Now the windows look like they did when this portion of the building was built in 1907.
The restoration of the Acoma Street doors and transom areas, and all stained glass windows and the parapet on the bell tower was also completed. This restoration was made possible through a generous grant from Colorado Historical Society and matching monies from the church.
This wonderful historic building is a jewel in the Historic Baker Neighborhood and is the gathering place for many community events.